When the manufacturers tell you about a scheduled maintenance and lubrication, don’t ignore these. These are the secrets to keeping your car running for as high as six-figure mileages. They will also recommend which type and formula of oil, liquids and grease should be used for the car.
In fact it shouldn’t come as a secret that correct maintenance is the key. No matter what model or how old the car is, there really is no difference except how you treat your car.
Basic Car Maintenance Practices
These are the habits you should develop to keep the car in tip-top shape. If you’re already familiar with the car and its engine, you should be able to perform these simple tasks at home. If you’re not familiar with how the car works, however, don’t do the car servicing yourself.
1. Wash the car’s exterior with detergents made for vehicles. Keeping your car clean will help you monitor for scratches and damages. You might need to apply a coat of wax over the paint every six months. This is cheaper than taking your car to a car workshop.
2. Protect your car’s interior by applying a UV protectant. With the weather in Singapore, it’s also essential to use a window deflector screen or a shade when parking your car outside. If possible, never park your car outside where it is hit directly by sunlight for a prolonged period.
3. The brake fluid can attract moisture and will corrode if not replaced. Ideally, you should replace the brake fluid and bleed system once a year. That’s cheaper than replacing the corroded or damaged hoses, calipers and sensors.
4. Change the car’s oil or check the level. Keeping the oil fresh should be a top priority. It doesn’t matter if you’re using the best product in the world if you don’t change it as required. Change the filters as well while you’re at it.
5. Change the transmission and differential oils. Check the instructions by the car manufacturer. These don’t require frequent changing like the engine oil, but they should also be monitored.
6. Change the coolant at least once a year at a car servicing in Singapore company.. Observing this will help keep the buildup from damaging the car’s cooling system. Removing the corrosion will require more money for repairs than developing a habit of flushing out the system.
7. The moving parts in the car like the ball joints need to be lubricated or greased. You should lubricate driveline components as well. Poor lubrication can wear out some parts and require replacement.
8. Clean and check the wheel bearings. Car mechanics attest that regular monitoring and greasing will cost you less than replacing the spindle and hub in a car repair shop.
Common Car Services Procedures
Whether you’re opting for an interim car service or a full car servicing in Singapore, the following are generally observed.
1. Tire Pressure Checks
The car servicing in Singapore should know the type of wheel you’re using. Regardless of the type of tires, they are inspected for the correct tire pressure. The required pressure is specified by your car’s manufacturer.
2. Mobile Tire Fitting
A correct tire fitting and the right tire pressure will keep the car running better because of improved handling and cornering. There is also better fuel economy as well as significantly increase the safety of the car.
Air-conditioning check-up should be included in your car servicing for at least every 2 years. Others will recommend including it in your car maintenance yearly to make sure that there are no leaks. The car workshop should replace gases and refrigerants and check for leaks in the system to make sure it cools the air at correct temperatures and it produces no foul odors.
Exhausts should be monitored when the car has traveled a total of 10,000 km. If not, the cost of exhaust pipe repair or replacement and fitting will cost more.
5. Wheel Alignment
Correct car tracking will help avoid collisions and give you better control. If not aligned properly, the wheels could also wear out. The wheels are aligned based on the specifications by the manufacturer.
The brake discs and brake pads should be replaced before they start to wear out. The brake system in general also needs regular car servicing to make sure you’re driving your family safely all the time.
The car’s battery should be tested and replaced if necessary. If not monitored properly, the car could break down when you need it.
Full Car Servicing
A full car servicing in Singapore is recommended for vehicles that have traveled a total of 12,000 miles or those that have been continuously used for 12 months. Ask the car servicing shop for the type of car maintenance, car repair, car workshop and other services they can provide. Not all full car servicing packages offer the same procedures, so be sure to ask for details.
The following are usually included in most full car servicing packages in Singapore:
8. A drive test to assess the car’s condition
9. Inspection for general problems
10. Check for wear, damage and leaks
11. Check for damage or wear in driveshaft and the steering system
12. Check for wear in the wheel bearings
13. Brake checks and removal of the wheels
14. Checking of the handbrake operation for manuals
15. Change of oil and filter
16. Replacement of air filter
17. Replacement of fuel filter for diesel engines
18. Replacement of spark plugs for petrol engines
19. Check for wear on the suspension
20. Test and replacement of the brake fluid
21. Clutch operation for manuals is checked
22. Tires are inspected for damage, wear and misalignment
23. The service light is reset
24. Check for corrosion and leaks in the exhaust system