Not all Singaporeans know pomegranates. Pomegranates have unrivalled health benefits because they contain compounds good for the body. Many studies were conducted to show its potential. The recent studies revealed that eating pomegranates regularly can give protection from Alzheimer’s disease and other neurological disorders. The study was published in the ACS Chemical Neuroscience journal.
Pomegranates have anti-cancer, anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. For the information of everybody, pomegranate is an Asian fruit which is known for its gleaming red seeds called arils. The seeds played a crucial role in the treatment and prevention of Alzheimer’s disease because of a compound called urolithins.
Pomegranates are categorized as a berry and are about five to twelve centimetres in diameter. Arils is truly a wonder because one cup of it contains seven grams of fibre, three grams of protein, thirty percent vitamin C, thirty six percent vitamin K, sixteen percent folate and twelve percent potassium.
Aside from its potential in treating Alzheimer’s disease, here are other health benefits of pomegranates that we should know about:
- It may help fight certain cancers: The most common type of cancer among men is prostate cancer and studies have shown that pomegranate may help fight against this type of cancer. The extract will slow down the reproduction of cancer cell and induce cell death called apoptosis. For women, the most common type of cancer is breast cancer. The extract is also helpful in inhibiting reproduction of cancer cells.
- It may lower blood pressure: The most prevent driver of strokes and heart attacks is high blood pressure. In a study, people who consume 150 ml of pomegranate juice for two weeks had significant reduction of high blood pressure.
- It may alleviate arthritis and joint pains: It was mentioned earlier that pomegranates contain anti-inflammatory properties. This property is specifically helpful for people who are suffering from arthritis and joint pains.
- It may lower risk of heart disease: Heart disease is complicated and it is one of the most common cause of untimely deaths not only here in Singapore but around the world. Pomegranate contains punicic acid that can lower the risk of heart disease.
- It assists in fighting bacterial infections: Pomegranate specifically can battle bacteria and microorganisms. As a result, it can prevent occurrence of denture stomatitis, gingivitis and other common gum diseases.
Though more studies need to be considered to know for sure of its benefits, we can still consume it confidently and think that it can have a great impact on our health.